Saturday, January 2, 2016

Drive train removal

2016 is here and what better way to bring in the new year than to drop the drive train for inspection!

Besides the engine, the trans and rear end are the last of the big items to get the once over. Everything went well, removing the necessary items to drop the rear end, was straight forward.

Sway bar 


Rear shocks



Leaf Springs




The '55 has a disc brake attached to the drive shaft, as the parking brake, instead of attached to the rear brakes.






After that, the unit dropped out




Next was the transmission. After a few hours of wrenching, I was able to get it out. All together,  I worked from 9am to 3pm, and boy was I exhausted. Working solo can make it rough, but very rewarding. I have my fingers crossed that the rear end and transmission just need fresh fluids and minor TLC. I will be dropping each of them off to be serviced. 

Having the peace of mind, that my drive train will be reliable and fresh, will make driving the '55 even more enjoyable.



1 comment:

  1. This is good news! Fingers crossed and hoping for the best! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete