Saturday, December 19, 2015

Give me a brake

Regrouping from the setback with the new brake parts, I continued with my decision to put everything back together and clean the calipers. The grease in the rotor bearings had turned really thick, so I replaced in inner and outer bearings and grease seals on both front wheels. I started by installing a new outer bearing race on the driver's front rotor using a bearing race set tool.





Next, I packed the new inner and outer bearings, for both front calipers, with grease




After the inner bearing was installed, next came the grease seal.


Fresh bearings and grease.




I still need to flush the calipers, but that didn't stop me from installing the rotors, washers, castle nuts, and cotter pins.


In order to button up the brakes I still need to flush the calipers, install new hard lines, and get a power brake booster/master cylinder. I may shift that towards the end, when I have the rear end, tranny, and engine out. With those items out, I will have more room to work.

I took the fuel filter apart to get the size of the filter element. I expected to see a dirty filter, as I still expected to see varnished gas. There is no way fuel stabilizer kept 15 year old gas in good condition.... Wrong again, the filter element looked brand new and the inside of the filter case was spotless.




With such great results, I know the fuel pump is in as good a shape as the filter


1 comment: