Wednesday, October 7, 2015


Friday October 2, 2015

BACK STORY:

Growing up, I can't remember a time when I wasn’t fixated on my Dad’s 1955 Chevy Bel Air. Even though it was a “law ornament”, I would always get in and pretend to drive it. I can still remember that distinctive smell a car gets when it has been sitting for years and critters make it their home.




When I was older, my constant pestering (begging and pleading), successfully convinced my dad to let me get it back on the road.  A few months after starting the process, it was clear that it would need professional help. 


As the car was being restored, there were many trips to swap meets and lots of hours looking through the Danchuk catalog for parts. Those are very fond memories for me, spending that time with my dad living and breathing the restoration. After the restoration was completed we enjoyed driving and taking the car to cruises.


After only a few years, the motor failed and the car was placed into a garage and covered up.  Every year we said “When are we going to get that car back on the road”, and every year nothing happened.  15 years later, the car still sat under the car cover. When my father passed away in December of 2014, I realized how many more memories I missed making with him. I never thought he wouldn't be here to enjoy the car again. 

During those 15 years, I found the love of my life, got married and had a daughter who is now 5.  Since my dads passing, I have been compelled to bring it back to life, so I can share it with my family and make even more great memories. To me, this is a way i can honor my dad's memory as a great husband, father, and grandfather.  

None of this would be possible without the love and support of my wonderful and caring wife and my mother. My mother is truly the strongest person i know. I LOVE YOU MOM!!!!

In order to begin work on the 55, I called in a flatbed so it could be moved to a larger garage to give me more room to work. Since the car was fully restored (Frame off) just a couple years before it went into storage, I optimistically see light mechanical items such as fluids and small components. I am crossing my fingers that I can handle the majority of the work to keep the budget low ( the car was almost brand new when it went into storage, 4,600 mile on a complete frame off restoration). Since the garage was climate controlled and the 55 was covered, it looks as fresh as the day it was done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment