Monday, October 19, 2015

Blast From The Past:

As i mentioned before, the 55 was restored back in the 90's, by a hot rod shop in wampum PA.  The owners name was Dave "Beans" Kotuby. As i was looking at the pictures from the restoration i wondered if he was still around. I knew that he sold the shop years ago but nothing else.  After putting on my detective hat, i was able to track down a phone number.

After 20 years and a little phone tag, i spoke to "Beans" this past Sunday the 18th. He was always very nice and our conversation went very well. He was able to answer questions i had about the restoration and he expressed his sadness regarding my dad passing. He shared a few funny stories regarding my father.  He grew up with my dad in Koppel PA and looked up to him, even back then my dad had a 55 and everyone wanted to ride with him.  He would cruise around town blasting Locomotion by Little Eva!

Beans told me another story where they were trying to start the 55, during the restoration, and gas started to build up in the headers. This lead to a loud explosion and flames shooting out from under the car while my dad was behind the wheel. Beans distinctly remembers my dad jumping, then lying on the front seat yelling "FIRE IN THE HOLE" "FIRE IN THE HOLE".

He still lives in the same area, just a few miles from my mother house. He had actually passed by her house on Sunday as he went to Summit Racing (performance parts shop)located in Ohio. 

He offered his advice on a few subjects, car related, and i invited him to stop over to look at the car as i work on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment