Friday, April 1, 2016

Brakes don’t stop me now!!

I am now making progress on the brake system. I ordered a complete set of stainless brake lines and a master cylinder. I originally thought the motor would not produce enough vacuum to support power brakes, but now I find out it will.  I can always get the booster later.
I purposely kept the rear end out of the car so installing the rear brake lines along the axle would be easier.  It wasn’t as easy as I thought. The lines are pre bent for a disc brake conversion, but they didn’t seems to fit as well as I would like. The assembly manual shows how to run the lines for factory drum brakes so I had to take some creative control.  After many attempts to fit them, I realized I needed to modify the bends.  With a little coaxing, I got them in a shape that fit well, but not perfect.  I also bought two kits from CCP which had band clamps and clips to mount the rubber lines to the axle as well at the T-fitting. I did have to shave the mounting hardware, where the hard line meets the rubber line; it was too thick to allow the clip to be installed. A few passes with the grinder and that was taken care of. I think it came out well; I may need to adjust them once the rear end is back in the 55 to make sure nothing hits.

I am hoping that the front lines to both front wheels and the rear line that runs outside the frame to the axle go it easier. Those runs were not modified, so all the factory attachment points should work with the factory bends on the new lines.






No comments:

Post a Comment